Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I don't think we are in Kansas anymore...

I received an email today from someone who is thinking of starting her own photography studio. She asked me for advice on several subjects and if I could help her in any way with how to start, how to advertise etc. At first I was very pleased that she looked at my website and thought I would be a good person to help her out. I am always flattered when someone pays me a compliment about my work. It is a cut-throat business and there are always people out there to remind you that they don't like something you do. (I always remember all the negatives.) Back to the email, as I started to think what I would say, a little devil popped up on my shoulder and said "don't give her any of your secrets." I am very appalled that anything would make me think that. I always consider myself a generous person. I like to think that my clients come to me for my personality as much as my ability. There are some that would say you don't want to teach your competition, but why not? Won't your clients come to you, because they like you? Well, not really. Unfortunately, our society has become so dependant on getting a bargain, that they don't care about small business or personal relations. (some call this the walmart epidemic) I will be the first to admit, when a new client says to me "I used to use so-and-so for my pictures, but they raised their prices so high, I can't afford it," I am a little happy. I have probably won that client over with my prices. But the more I think about it, I'm a little sad and worrisome. So, if I raise my prices because of raising lab fees, does that mean they will leave me? What happened to personal relationships with your business people. I know, I enjoy talking with the guy at "Goin' Postal" where I do all of my mailing. I enjoy the smiles and conversations I have with the Sam's Club photo center. Just think about what would happen if we all unplugged and started talking with each other while checking out at the grocery store, ordering food, etc.

As for the girl, I am going to email her information. She lives in Kansas, and is not a threat to my business. But I'm glad that she asked. It taught me a little about myself as well.

thumbs up!

No comments: